Article marketing can be a really useful way of gaining backlinks to your website. To start using article writing as a marketing tool you need to choose an article submission site such as ezineartices.com or buzzle.com, write an article and submit it. Then you sit back and wait for people to find your article and use it on their site. They will need to publish a “resource box” alongside the article, which explains who wrote it and includes a link to the writer’s website – and that is where you get the backlink. However, as easy as it sounds, it’s not always so simple to write articles that will be picked up and published on other websites. Here are some tips to help you along the way.
- First, you need to write about relevant subjects. If you’re an accountant and you write an article about web design no one is going to publish it, because after all, what does an accountant know about web design?! OK that’s an extreme example, but do ensure you are knowledgeable in the subject you write about.
- The most popular and most published articles are those that are timely and newsworthy. Make sure you keep up to date with developments in your industry, so you can write about them. A tip here is to sign up with a site like Google that gives you alerts on news topics you choose.
- Some writers post one article and that’s it. A better strategy is to post lots of articles – if web publishers like your first one, and use it on their site, they’re likely to look for more of the same – so make sure you give it to them.
- Attention spans on the internet are short, so keep your articles short, simple and straightforward. Don’t waffle. Do be aware of any minimum word counts on article submission sites though – for example, on ezinearticles.com the body of the article must be at least 400 words.
- Proofread your articles carefully. More people are likely to use your material if it is free from typos and spelling mistakes.
- How many articles should you write to start increasing traffic to your website? The good news is that it could be as few as two. Writing articles with helpful titles, such as “How to do x, y and z” and “ 7 tips for this that and the other” will capture attention and start attracting traffic to your site.
- As well as submitting your written work to article sites, don’t forget to use them on your own website too. Alternatively, if you write for your blog you can re-use the material on article sites. And if you end up with a dozen or so articles on the same topic, consider putting them together as an e-book and giving it away to customers or anyone who signs up for your newsletter.
With any luck these tips will help you get started with article marketing and benefitting from the traffic it can bring to your website. However, if you would like someone to write articles for you, HodgesNet has a professional copywriter who can help. Just give us a call on 01793 608777 for details.
Author: Ant Hodges (Google)