Email marketing is one of the best ways to break fears and build trust with potential customers and existing ones alike. Successful email campaigns can increase traffic to your website, build rapport within your database, and ultimately make decisions on whether to purchase or not easier for the recipient. One of the best ways to engage straight away with your email recipient is to have an enticing, engaging subject line which won’t just get deleted or chucked in the spam folder!
Making sure your email marketing gets opened is a necessity for businesses, however the key aspect to consider is to tell people what’s inside of the email not sell what’s inside; this can be deemed as off putting and be reminiscent of sales jargon. The average businessman will receive around 100 emails daily, with 90% deleted before even being viewed. To avoid your email being one of the majority, make sure you adhere to these 5 tips which will enable your mail to be viewed and not end up in the virtual trash can.
5 tips to make sure your email marketing gets opened!
- First consideration of any subject line in an email marketing campaign should be to make it RELEVANT; Create a catchy, meaningful tag line which will be appealing to customers. Whilst doing this, be useful and offer value to the customer by being ultra-specific about what lies within the email.
- The second recommendation is to be PERSONAL in your subject lines; this can be done by addressing the customer with a question, inviting them in with a call to action. The personal aspect will come when you’re being consistent with your recipients. This will allow them to recognise your emails instantaneously whilst remaining professional and informative.
- Another key point which you shouldn’t include in your subject lines is SPAM WORDS and phrases which could prove to be a major hindrance to your campaign. Don’t use terms such as ‘FREE’, ‘50% off’, or currency symbols as this will be seen again as sales jargon which the majority will delete without opening the email.
- GRAB THE ATTENTION of your customers! Not by putting all your text in capital letters, or persistent usage of exclamation marks, but the occasional use which will attract customers into opening the email. The subject line should be like the title of a book, which is a short summary offering enough information, but with the addition of a little mystery that leads them into opening up the message. The LENGTH of your subject is also of importance; make sure it’s succinct and around 50 words! – This seems to be the most appropriate length.
- Have a sense of URGENCY within your subject that makes the customer think they might miss out unless they open up the email. The key aspect is to not disappoint the customer if they do open though; to do this, be informative and specific! If the service or deal is ‘today only!’ make sure you tell them, and if the service or deal starts today…guess what, tell the customer as they will react accordingly.
In conclusion, be truthful in your subject line and be as natural as possible. This is found to most appealing to the end receivers, however be sure to be visually different and stand out from other competitors or potential rivals in your industry. In most circumstances quality comes through, so if your email content matches the subject, you will have engagement and potential sales.
If you would like more information on email marketing services and campaigns feel free to call the HodgesNet team on 01793 608777.
Recent email autoresponder client testimonial
Image courtesy of Master isolated images/ FreeDigitalPhotos.net