5 reasons to use WordPress for your business website
Here at the HodgesNet HQ we are great fans of the content management system (CMS) WordPress and most the sites we create are built on the WordPress platform (see our WordPress website design pricing online) – but not everyone understands why we love it so much. So in this blog post we’ll explain a little bit about what WordPress is, and we’ll give you 5 reasons to use WordPress for your business website.
First it’s important to understand exactly what WordPress is. It started as an online blogging platform but it’s so flexible that you can use it as a blog, a website or both, and there’s no limitation on the number of pages you can have or the extra functionality you can add – so long as you use the self installed version. You see, there are two versions of WordPress – you can either download the free software from wordpress.org and install it on your own webspace, or you can open a free account at wordpress.com and set up a hosted blog there. The hosted version is a good start, especially for a personal blog, but it does have restrictions on the amount of customisation you can do, plus WordPress actually “owns” all your content there, so we prefer to use the self-hosted version.
So why should you use WordPress for your business website?
Here are five very good reasons:
1. Ease of use: If you can use word processing software, you can use WordPress! The interface is straightforward and adding pages and content is as simple as clicking a button, typing into a box and pressing the Update button! You may need some help installing the software in the first place, or installing and customising themes and plugins – contact us if that’s the case, and we can help. We even offer WordPress compatible website hosting so that we can do all the tech stuff for you.
2. Superb content management: WordPress lets you structure your content in a logical way that is easy for your visitors and the search engines to navigate. For example, you can give every post a category and additional tags so it’s easy to show topics on separate pages or find related content. You can also add images and videos easily.
3. Optimised for the search engines: WordPress was built so sites could be easily found by the search engines and Google loves it! The structure of every page and post means you don’t need to do a lot more to get your page ranked well, and there are many excellent plugins out there to help with on-page SEO too.
4. Extendable: Whether you want a single page website, a blog or a huge site with hundreds of pages of content, WordPress can handle the job. There are hundreds of thousands of themes available to make your site look unique, and you can even tweak the coding to change colours and fonts to customise your site even further. You can also use plugins to bring extra functionality to your site – whether you need a forum, photo gallery, links directory or ecommerce, there’s a plugin to help you do that.
5. Loads of support: Perhaps the biggest benefit of using WordPress over some of the other content management platforms is the amount of online support available. The WordPress Codex is the official WordPress manual and a great starting point, and there’s an active support forum too. Most theme and plugin developers have their own websites and forums, and if all else fails try Googling for your problem, because you’re bound to find the answer on a WordPress user’s blog!
If you would like to find out more about using WordPress for your business website call the team at HodgesNet on 01793 608777 – we’d love to chat to you about it! You can even see our WordPress website design pricing online which starts from £27+VAT per month for our WP basic package.
Check out two of our latest projects that we have completed and handed over to clients for them to now manage their content themselves.